Our solicitors have many years of experience in dealing with Probate matters and offer a supportive and efficient service. They understand this is a difficult time for you and will do what they can to smooth the process.
Each client has different circumstances and we prefer to speak to you directly to understand your requirements so that we can let you know the costs that you will incur, so please feel free to call us on 0207 483 8644.
If someone dies in England or Wales having made a Will it is necessary to administer the estate and carry out the deceased’s wishes as set out in their Will.
The deceased will usually have appointed someone to act as an Executor(s) of the Will. This person(s) is responsible for ensuring the deceased’s wishes are carried out and to do so often appoint solicitors such as us to perform these duties as we have sufficient experience to know what is required.
In simple terms to obtain a Grant of Probate it is necessary firstly to find out what property or assets the deceased owned (“the estate”) , e.g. cash in the Bank , shares, premium bonds, etc and what debts need to be cleared (e.g. rent ,service charges , mortgage payments, utility costs (e.g. gas electric water),other fees and miscellaneous items.
If the deceased owned a property or properties these may have to be sold or transferred in accordance with what is said in the Will .
We charge separately for dealing with the sale of any property which forms part of the deceased’s estate. Please see our conveyancing costs.
A beneficiary is someone named in the Will whom the deceased has stated should receive a part or all of his/her estate (e.g. a property or a sum of cash or if the deceased set up trusts, they may benefit from the trust).
The estate has to be valued and reported to HMRC who will determine how much inheritance tax “IHT” (if any has to be paid). We can help in collecting the estate’s assets, for example money from the sale of the deceased person’s property.
IHT is payable within six months from the date of death. We can advise you what to do if there are insufficient funds available to pay IHT by that date. (e.g. the estate comprises shares /property but no cash in the Bank).
We can also arrange for any debts to be paid and keep a record (“estate accounts”) of how any property, money possessions will be split and pass the estate (“distribute the assets”) on to the beneficiaries.
To carry out certain tasks, the executor may need a certificate from the Probate Registry confirming their authorisation, and this is called a Grant of Probate.
We also charge for disbursements (costs payable by us but charged by a third party) such as:
- Probate application fee of £155.00 for the Grant and £0.50 for each copy. Please note these costs are due to increase in April 2019(as per the recent budget proposals) and will be based on the value of the estate.
- Swearing of the oath £5.00 (per executor) plus £2.00 per exhibit Will /Codicil (A codicil is an additional document signed by the deceased making changes to the original Will).
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2.00 for each name searched prior to each distribution).
- Trustee Act advertisements, in the London Gazette and a Local Newspaper – This protects against unexpected claims and unknown creditors.
Advertisement posted in The London Gazette –£69.50
Advertisement posted in a Local Newspaper. These vary according to each newspaper, for example a recent advertisement in our local newspaper cost £120.05
Potential additional costs
- If there is no Will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
We charge between £275.00 -£400 plus VAT per hour plus disbursements.
The price range depends on various factors such as the size of the estate, the number of beneficiaries, where the estate assets are held (e.g. UK or overseas), whether there are complex trusts to consider, whether the Will is contested and whether the matter carries a higher burden of responsibility than a smaller estate). Letters/emails sent and telephone calls are charged at 10% per item i.e. £27.50 plus VAT. Letters /emails received at 5% per page i.e. £13.75 plus VAT (based on £275.00 per hour.
a) A simple estate (e.g. one beneficiary and no property) with no unforeseen problems could cost between £2500.00-£5000.00 (and VAT) and disbursements.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter.
b) A more complicated estate such as;-
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 5 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 2-4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
The cost would be between £7500.00-£10,000 plus VAT and disbursements.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 2 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 3-6 months. Once this has been done, we can distribute the asset, which normally takes 3 months.
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets.
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Registry on your behalf
- Obtain Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
Our solicitors are experienced in dealing with Probate work and provide an efficient and sympathetic service. Please telephone 0207 483 8644 to discuss your need with us.
We are here to help you. We will discuss preferential rates to specific groups for example existing or returning clients.